Re: [vox-tech] [OT] IRQ's under win2k

On Sun 14 Dec 03,  6:17 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > seems like ntfs has been ro in the kernel for ages now.  i wonder what
> > the problem could be...
>
> The old, now-discontinued NTFS driver wasn't SMP-clean.  That was the one
> with write-capable code that you could switch on via an edit to the
> source code, if you were feeling lucky.  The newer and current driver
> is a much cleaner design, but (when last I heard) didn't yet have _any_
> disk-writing code, whether disabled or not.   Doing that safely is said
> to be a seriously difficult problem, and the code maintainers have
> deferred that task entirely until the rest of the module is deemed
> solid.
>
> --
> Cheers,                             * Contributing Editor, Linux Gazette *
> Rick Moen                       -*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-
> rick@linuxmafia.com                       <http://linuxgazette.net/>

ick.  seems like they should have left the SMP unclean code in and use a
locking mechanism with the nota bene that "hey, if you use this module,
you might take a performance hit".  or maybe it's more complicated than
that: i know about writing device drivers, but very little about the
actual kernel itself.

doesn't matter at this point anyway.  i reinstalled using fat32.  MS
makes it very difficult to find the option not to use ntfs.  plus google
told me the magic, undocumented keystrokes to install w2k without using
ACPI.  now i have full access of the drive from within linux, and i'm
feeling much better about it.

btw, is there any sign that (un)popular) opinion will force the
linuxgazette.com lawsuit to be dropped against .net?

pete