Re: [vox-tech] overnet

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Wed 10 Dec 03,  9:46 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:

Pasted from a recent post on vox-tech:

p2p like gnutella and fasttrack makes it easy to find what you want, but difficult to get it.

bittorrent makes things easy to get, but difficult to find.
I've recently started using overnet, another P2P network, with the ed2k-gtk-gui (http://ed2k-gtk-gui.sourceforge.net/download.shtml). You can search for shared files like most p2ps, but downloads come in pieces from several different users, similar to bittorrent. So it seems to do both things well: easy to find and easy to download!

Jonathan

thanks; i've been meaning to look into overnet.  apparently, there's
debian packages:

mldonkey-gui
mldonkey-server

and the client supports overnet, edonkey, bittorrent, and gnutella.
Yah, I tried mldonkey also (from gentoo ebuilds). But it only seemed to use the gnutella network; at least it was not immediately clear to me how to make it work with overnet. So I compiled ed2k-gtk-gui from source and found I like its gui interface better anyway.

BTW: I had some initial trouble connecting to an active overnet network (maybe this is why I couldn't get mldonkey to work). I had to open a couple ports on my firewall and then "bootstrap" to an existing overnet node:

http://files.edonkey2000.com/documentation/connecting.html
http://files.edonkey2000.com/documentation/tips.html

Let me know, offlist, if you need to bootstrap to my connection.

Jonathan