[vox-tech] bittorrent

ok, i've downloaded bittorrent on debian/sarge.  now what?

i've read some material, and here's what i think i know:

1. to get the best download speeds, i'll need to poke holes in
   tcp/6881 through tcp/6889.

2. i need to open a web browser, find a bittorrent link, and click on
   it, which will open up the bittorrent helper application and engage
   in the download of whatever the file points to.

that's what i think i know.  how accurate is this?

how does one find .bittorrent links?

does anyone have a bittorrent testfile handy to download some very small
text file in a 'Hello World' fashion?

thanks!
pete