[vox-tech] Altering Columns in MySQL on RedHat

[vox-tech] Altering Columns in MySQL on RedHat

I've got a RedHat 8 box running MySQL 3.23.55. One of my tables has a field with 'varchar(250)' as the data type.

mysql> desc foo;
+-------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id | int(11) | | UNI | NULL | auto_increment |
| sku | varchar(10) | | PRI | | |
| bar | varchar(250) | | MUL | | |
| name | text | YES | | NULL | |
| etc... | int(11) | YES | | NULL | |

Unfortunately, 250 characters is insufficient for the data I want to put into this field. So, I want to change it to 'blob' or 'text'. However, when I use:

mysql> alter table foo modify bar text not null;

I receive back the error:

ERROR 1170: BLOB column 'bar' used in key specification without a key length

I've tried adding a new column:

mysql> alter table foo add barnew text not null;
Query OK, 19543 rows affected (3.84 sec)
Records: 19543 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

and the new column shows up:

| barnew | text | | | | |