2003 Nov 30 13:13

Re: [vox-tech] Boot Disk Not a True Rescue

Re: [vox-tech] Boot Disk Not a True Rescue

A boot disk != rescue disk.

I believe Debian 3 uses CD Disk #7 as their rescue disk.  Red Hat uses CD #1,
and if you want a nice set of tools and all the goodies to boot use Knoppix.

man mkbootdisk

mkbootdisk  creates  a  boot floppy appropriate for the running system.
       The boot disk is  entirely  self-contained,  and  includes  an  initial
       ramdisk  image  which  loads any necessary SCSI modules for the system.
       The created boot disk looks for the root filesystem on the device  sug-
       gested by /etc/fstab.  The only required argument is the kernel version
       to put onto the boot floppy.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer