2003 Nov 30 12:54

Re: [vox-tech] html question

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 02:17:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> yeah -- if you have time, check out www.dirac.org/p/peter.html.  it's
> actually a resume.  the headings are in the black bars:
>

>   ----------------------------------------------------
>   | Talks Given:                                     |
>   ----------------------------------------------------
>
> which are coded by:
>
>    <TABLE class="head" cellpadding=3 bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width=100%>
>    <TR BGCOLOR="black"><TD>
>    <SPAN class="head">Talks Given:</SPAN>
>    </TD></TR></TABLE>
>
> so they're part of the "SPAN.head" class, which you can see above (or by
> downloading the webpage).   they're sans-serif.  but if you add
>
>    BODY
>    {
>       font-family: times;
>    }
>
> they become serif fonts.  totally not what i was expecting.  thank you
> for verifying that i'm not going insane!

Pete, sorry for taking so long to reply. At the moment, I'm booted
into Windows (I'm still very addicted to certain Windows games, some
of which don't work properly with Wine, and those that do run a little
slow on my 450MHz machine), so I tested with MSIE.

It works as you and I both expect with MSIE. I didn't get a chance to
test with Mozilla, but I suspect the same. Maybe you could download a
copy of Firebird to verify that it looks okay on that, but as to
Opera, there may not be much you can do. Perhaps you can google for
known issues with Opera's CSS support, and there may be workarounds.

-Micah