2003 Nov 26 20:06

Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:48:08AM -0800, Ryan wrote:

> +RW is random writeable. You could format it as ext2 and mount it :)

OOh.. that's messed up.  Cool! :^)  I guess with nearly 5GB, the overhead
of maintaining the filesystem stuff (directories, etc.) becomes much less
of a problem. :^)

<snip>
> Well, if you've got it burning CD's then you're half way there.

Then I'll take this moment to thank Mike Simons for the help.  Thanks, Mike!
;^)

> I've got also got a sony multiformat burner. Mine only really seems to like
> to work right with cdrecrod-ProDVD. It's a little picky about blanks, but
> otherwise works well. I'd be happy to lend you a DVD+RW to play with.

<snip>
> install libdvdcss, then ogle (or mplayer, but it's menu support sucks). I
> personaly compiled these from source....

Note that step 1 is to figure out data storage, rather than DVD authoring :)
5GB is a nice size for backups or "move this crap off the HD" storage.

<snip>
> ogle and mplayer both can also play DVDs that have been copied to my hard
> drive using dd :)

Man, that's sick!

<snip>
> I know doug does dvd burning and whatnot under linux, but I do not know what
> distro he uses.

Again, see above.  I wanna do "drop 4GB of files onto the disc so I can read
them later," and not necessarily "let's make a DVD movie to watch" :^)