2003 Nov 25 22:37

Re: [vox-tech] Reinstalling GRUB

Ken Bloom wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:05:16AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

Can someone tell me how to reinstall GRUB from the command line?

I had to reformat my Windows partition and so GRUB got eaten. I checked various documentation, and even asked SuSE Support how to reinstall GRUB, but no one has given me the answer.
There is a simple command for reinstalling LILO. If I type /usr/sbin/grub I get a GRUB> prompt, but then I don't know what to do next.

There is some way of entering commands at the GRUB commandline that will install grub, but I don't know what it is - /usr/sbin/grub is a copy of the bootloader itself but I don't know what its capabilities are.

Since no one has illustrated this yet, I'll share what little I know. I've recently learned to do this from the Gentoo install instructions (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml). From shell,

#grub
grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hdX)
grub> quit
#

That's it! hdX,Y is your boot partition (e.g. hd0,0 = /dev/hda1) and hdX is where you want grub installed (e.g. MBR of /dev/hda). The gentoo install instructions gives more details and is very clear. Also, make sure your /boot/grub/grub.conf file is correct.

Some of you may be asking, how do I run grub and fix my boot loader if I can't boot into Linux? Just boot off of a floppy or CD, such as KNOPPIX or your Linux installation CD.

Jonathan

Use the grub-install command which should be in the same directory.

I finally figured out how to do it with YAST, and so I'm okay. But I've seen too many GNOME and KDE GUI programs fail, and for something as important as installing a bootloader when Windows is in the neighborhood, I would feel more secure if I could reinstall GRUB from the command line.