2003 Nov 23 03:23

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

On Saturday 22 November 2003 06:51 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > but never mind that.  let's talk about something else.
> > >
> > > so we have a guy who presumably owns a solaris box.  he wants to
> > > install something.  i forget what it was.  oracle?  anyway.  he wants
> > > to do it from an account named "joeschmo", rather than "root".
> > >
> > > do you really not see anything wrong with that?
> > >
> > > the only person who should be doing that is a hacker.
> >
> > Or an oracle DBA/sysadmin... oracle is not installed as root, although
> > there are 2-3 parts that require you to run a script as root to do
> > somethings.
>
> and you would change a user's UID or GID to do this?

You are not making sense.  You said above that you had a guy that wanted to
install oracle from an account other than root(which is the way oracle is
supposed to be installed.)   So you're dinging me for that?  Have you ever
done oracle installs?  Am I missing something here?

> you ain't administrating any machine that i own, that's for sure!  ;)

Ya know, there's one thing that always makes me laugh, and that's when a non
professional gets all anal about their home system.  Get a grip, the absolute
worst thing that can happen is you have to spend an hr or two reloading your
system.   Its one thing to expend the level of effort to learn about
something, another thing to just do it cuz you're afraid of being hacked.

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk