2003 Nov 22 16:33

Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat 9 doesn't recognize a SMB printer - help to a Linux novice

Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat 9 doesn't recognize a SMB printer - help to a Linux novice

This may or may not be Red Hat's problem.  First we need to see if the printer
is being shared over the network.

From a terminal run the RH box with samba-client package installed;

smbclient -L IP-ADDRESS-OF-XP-SERVER
you shouldn't have to provide a password...just hit enter when prompted

This query will give you a listing of the shares available on that server.
Does the printer exist in the share listing?  If not then the problem is the
config of the XP server sharing the printer.

Red Hat 9 uses CUPS print sever by default.  To add network printers to the RH
box you need to add one through the CUPS admin interface.

From a root prompt;

service cups status
to make sure cups is running, if not run    service cups start

Now login to the admin interface from a web browser.  Fire up a browser and
enter the following URL;

http://localhost:631/

Pick 'Administration', login with the root login and password when prompted.

Pick Printers, add printer, Give it a name, location and description.  Then
pick the device type on the next screen, at the bottom you will find a
Windows via Samba printer.

Enter in the device URI like - smb://192.168.1.5/HP1100
Whatever name you gave the printer on the XP machine.

Pick the driver for the make and model.

Save and Done.  Now test it by printing a test page.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer