2003 Nov 20 13:38

Re: [vox-tech] User with root privileges

On Thursday 20 November 2003 01:03 pm, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Let me add a disclaimer at the beginning of this:  I do not know why this
> person wants to do this, and I have already advised them that it is not
> the safest course of action.
>
> But anyway.
>
> They want to set up their user login on their home *nix machine so that
> they have root privileges.  I have never done this and I've never had a
> need for it, but I imagine there's a way to do it.  What is that way?

Having root privileges means your UID is 0 - i.e. you are
logged in as root.

I have never tried this, but I suppose you could go into
/etc/passwd, etc/shadow and /etc/group and rename root to
some other name.

But there is surely a better way to do whatever it is that
your friend wants to do.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/