2003 Nov 20 14:40

Re: [vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

On Thu 20 Nov 03, 12:48 PM, David Margolis <margolid@ecs.csus.edu> said:
> Another solution is to install Win2K on a FAT partition instead of NTFS
> (one of the choices in the Win2K install.

lol!  that's hardly a solution for me.  i have no desire to reinstall
the operating system!  :)

i definitely would've picked FAT if i had the option.  unfortunately, it
didn't ask me what filesystem to use.  my only choice was NTFS.  it
might be because this was the "professional" version of win2k?  i dunno.
but i really wanted it on a FAT partition.

but everything is groovey right now anyway.  lilo boots win2k like a
charm.

> This does a couple of things:
>
> 1. Allows you to install Lilo for dual-boot they way a lot of the help
> docs explain it (they are assuming that you have a Win9X machine).  With
> not NTFS, there is also not NTLoader so Win2K becomes a little more
> flexible about sharing the hard-drive.
>
> 2. Allows you to read/write to your Win2K partition without all the
> undocumented, unsupported NTFS woes.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Linux
> FAT file system support is pretty solid, and NTFS support is still
> considered read-only and/or experimental.

this is true.  it's been that way for as long as i can remember.  i
wonder if anybody is really working on it.

> In my experience, if your other
> OS is on a FAT file system, you don't even have to do anything to mount it
> (i.e. RedHat and Slackware, from my experience, both detect and mount the
> drive at boot).  No modules to load, or kernels to recompile or any of
> that stuff...
>
> Dave M

but you can also build ntfs.o into your kernel too, i suppose...

pete

--
"Nobody steals our chicks.  And lives." -- Duke Nukem (played on Linux)