2003 Nov 16 19:31

Re: [vox-tech] finding the debian package that provides a command

Re: [vox-tech] finding the debian package that provides a command

On 2003.11.16 19:12, David Hummel wrote:
Does dpkg or apt (or maybe some other tool) provide a mechanism for
determining what package a file or command belongs to for packages
that
aren't installed?

Let's say I haven't gotten around to installing the package that
provides the xargs command (findutils), but I wanted to find out the
name of the package ... so that I can apt-get it.

dpkg -S does nicely for installed packages, but since it's impossible
(at least for me) to know the package names that provide every single
command or program in debian, I'm hoping there's a command line way of
doing this that's easier than searching through
http://packages.debian.org.
the apt-file and the auto-apt command do this. (apt-file used to not work, but now it works like a charm and probably beats auto-apt for functionality in this domain)

you need, however, to run `apt-file update` separately from `apt-get update` to keep the file lists from your debian mirrors up to date too. I handle this (and prevent forgetfulness) by tacking on `apt-file update` at the end of the cronjob I use to download upgrades to my system for latter installation.