2003 Oct 27 22:24

RE: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-bootsystem)

RE: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-bootsystem)

Okay, here is what you need/should do:

Boot off of a Windows XP Install CD and select the "Recovery Console"
feature. When you are eventually at a command prompt, typing "fdisk /mbr" is
necessary to overwrite LILO BUT will not be good enough for Windows XP...!!!
XP uses additional files for booting besides the code residing in the MBR so
it is essential that you ALSO type "bootcfg /rebuild" (or bootcfg with
another valid option such as "/add" or "/default" or whatever you feel you
need to do...) The combination of rebuilding the MBR and
restoring/re-writing XP's boot files should make the Win OS boot just fine.