2003 Oct 27 22:26

Re: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-bootsystem)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 21:02, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > You can't uninstall LILO like that.  Uninstalling LILO recreates
> > the MBR using the backup MBR... since the partition you had the original
> > LILO (which also had the original MBR) is gone, you can't uninstall LILO.
> >
> > What you wanna do here is REinstall LILO.  Make it boot directly into
> > Windows without prompting.  Create a lilo.conf file then run:
>
> I'm not sure I understand how that will work, since lilo.conf lives in
> /etc, on the Linux side... am I right?  If that's the case, then LILO
> won't be able to see lilo.conf.

Concept check: lilo.conf is only significant at the moment the "lilo"
application is run to install it... the contents of lilo.conf get
translated into binary information that is stored in the mbr (or the
beginning of a partition). Where you put lilo.conf is up to you if you use
the "-C" option.

If you are a perfect person or don't mind practicing to be perfect, you
could cat it to a file in /tmp (ramdisk), give it to lilo with "-C", and
then send it to bit heaven with the power switch, and lilo could work fine
from then on.

If you are not perfect and the windows partition is formatted as vfat, you
could put it there... that would only be for your convenience in case you
have to fine tune it to get it working right.  In this case, be sure not
to hit the power switch... that trick only works when you only have
ramdisks mounted.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing