2003 Oct 28 06:08

RE: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-boot system)

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org]
On Behalf Of Richard Crawford
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 14:03
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-boot system)

After much wrangling and deliberating, I finally went and (very
regretfully) removed Debian from my dual-boot Sony Vaio.  Deleting the OS
itself was easy enough -- I just used Partition Magic to delete the
partitions and reformat them as NTFS partitions that I can use to store
Windows files and data.  (The reason I did this was because there wasn't
enough space on this laptop for all of the Windows programs I wanted, and
I already have three -- soon to be four -- Linux boxes in the house; I can
live with one full Windows computer.)

The problem is that LILO is still lurking on the computer; whenever I boot
up the computer, it still offers me a choice whether to boot Windows or
Linux.  Is there a way to delete LILO so that I can simply boot right into
Windows that won't require reinstalling WinXP?

It is not necessarily a bad thing that LILO is still "lurking" on the
computer - you could simply re-configure LILO to boot Windows automatically
(assuming it is already booting your Windows partition with ease); i.e. you
would not be presented with a screen at bootup and you would not have to
worry about Windows not booting at all by altering your MBR. (I have had
many a headache with dual-boot where Windows refused to boot after mods)