2003 Oct 27 22:13

[vox-tech] Fried hard drive recovery

I have a hard drive that seems to be completely hosed. It has some
important data I'd like to retrieve from it, but I can't even run "fdisk
-l /dev/hda" without receiving a plain I/O error. The bios, however,
sees the drive and recognizes it. A search through "dmesg" output shows
that it's being recognized as well.

I tried using "testdisk", and again, when the disk is accessed, I just
get I/O errors. Is this disk totally a lost cause, or is there another
tool I can try?

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net