2003 Oct 22 18:33

Re: [vox-tech] ATARAID question

   http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/07/4/71638

Found using google search:

   what does dXpY mean?

Apparenly d0 is your first array (it's not necessarily the first IDE
device) and pY is your partition on the array.  So if your system got only
one array with one partition, it'll be /dev/ataraid/d0p1 (there's no
d0p0), no matter the settings of master or slave or whether it's IDE or
SCSI.

Apparently.

-Mark

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Walther The Writer wrote:

> Thanks, that's what I thought, but still confused with a syntax.
> I have my boot partition at /dev/hda5 and my root partition at /dev/hda7
> That means that I have to put /dev/ataraid/hda7 ???
> Can anyone confirm it? I posted two times at gentoo mailing list. no replies.
>
> Thanks again for clarification.
>
> Walther.
>

> >I suspect dX is the drive number i.e. hd0 for first
> >ide harddrive and pY is the partition number.
> >
> >Marc
> >
> >--- Walther The Writer <walther_the_writer@gmx.net>
> >wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install Gentoo on my machine with
> >> ATARAID option. I posted my question on Gentoo
> >> mailing list,
> >> however didn't get any replies. I think that's
> >> because my question is stupid ( I don't have any
> >> other explanation ).
> >> I'm trying to figure out what's the correct name for
> >> my ATARAID device.
> >>
> >> Quote from manual:
> >>
> >> "Also, in the GRUB configuration be sure to point
> >> the root to the appropriate RAID device: Code
> >> listing .5: grub.conf for RAID
> >>
> >> title=My Gentoo Linux on RAID
> >> root (hd0,0)
> >> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/ataraid/dXpY"
> >>
> >> So what do I have to put instead of X and Y and what
> >> d and p mean (/dXpY)?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Walther.

Mark K. Kim