2003 Oct 22 14:37

Re: [vox-tech] Mysterious sound problems

Re: [vox-tech] Mysterious sound problems

Rich

Were you able to play mp3s before, and now it will not? Have you checked your XMMS preferences and tried different sound drivers with the mp3 plugin?

Trouble playing mp3s, specifically with XMMS in RedHat, has threaded through vox-tech previously. The important points are:

1) RedHat has purposely "broken" all the media players to prevent mp3 playing

2) To use XMMS to play mp3s with RH, you need to install the xmms-mp3 rpm plugin (found at freshrpms), or compile and install from source.

3) Sometimes the mp3 plugin defaults to the incorrect sound driver ("output plugin"). Select one that works. If "disk writer" was used for output, you just converted all your mp3s to wav files!

Hope this helps. I don't know about other audio players.

Jonathan

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
For some reason, I cannot get my MP3's to play.  When I launch XMMS and
browse to where the music files are located and select one, XMMS just
sits there like a lump and doesn't do a thing.  Similarly with my other
music players, such as Noatun and RealPlayer.

Oddly, my CD's play just fine and I can hear streaming audio from the
web just fine.

Any thoughts?  I'm using Red Hat 8.  The music files are stored on a
separate RH 8 computer, mounted with Samba.