2003 Oct 17 14:27

Re: [vox-tech] X-No-Archive Inheritance?

Re: [vox-tech] X-No-Archive Inheritance?

As I mentioned in another earlier thread, I think we should consider
aliasing mailing list's e-mail address, in such a way that any mail sent
to the aliased mailing list isn't archived.

For example, we can have vox-tech-noarch()lists.lugod.org aliased to
vox-tech()lists.lugod.org, and setup the archive so that it doesn't
archive anything sent to vox-tech-noarch.  Any replies to messages posted
to vox-tech-noarch would also be sent to vox-tech-noarch, which in turn is
also not archived.  The great thing about this system is that it doesn't
require any manual intervention from the user, except for the very first
user that wants the thread non-archived.  Furthermore, even people who use
mailers incapable of editing the header can use the system.

For simplicity, we can even have vox-tech-noarch be simply a e-mail
forwarding system that bounces messages to vox-tech with X-No-Archive set
to yes.  That way nobody needs to mess with the current archive system.

-Mark

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > One implementation which would seem to work well would be for a filter
> > to check the headers to all messages in the "References" header; and
> > if it found X-No-Archive, keep the response unarchived also. This is
> > not trivial to implement though (but not too difficult, either), and I
> > don't think I care quite enough to spend time on it. :-(
>
> The second someone uses a mailer that doesn't include these, or replies
> to a digest message, the threading is lost, and the X-No-Archive is _gone_,
> baby!
>
> :^(
>
> -bill!

Mark K. Kim