2003 Oct 16 19:02

[vox-tech] CSV with rogue EOLs

Has anyone got a Perl or sed script handy that can take a CSV
(comma-separated values) text file like this:

  "1234","Hello","ABCD"
  "1235","Hello
  there","XYZ"
  "1236","Goodbye","LLLL"

and make it look like this:

  "1234","Hello","ABCD"
  "1235","Hello there","XYZ"
  "1236","Goodbye","LLLL"

e.g., wherever there are EOLs _within_ fields (between quotes), have it
replace those with something (in my example above, just a space)

I'm unfortunately dealing with Excel, and even it is too stupid to remember
when its within a field, so you end up with a spreadsheet like this:

  1234  | Hello   | ABCD
  1235  | Hello   | [blank]
  there | XYZ     | [blank]
  1236  | Goodbye | LLLL

I've dealt with this issue before, but it was years ago.  And I used C. ;^)

Thx!