2003 Oct 15 09:13

Re: [vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fastmotion

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David Margolis wrote:

> 3. Here is the part I don't get!  These cards are supposed to do HARDWARE
> MPEG 1 and 2 encoding.  Savign to AVI and then re-encoding into some MPEG
> format seems like ripping MP3s into WAV and then back out to OGG.  I admit
> I don't get how any of this works, but shouldn't it be more straigtforward
> to just _catch_ the already encoded MPEG data and put it somewhere???

I think v4l doesn't support receiving compressed video.  The way to
receive the stream is probably specific for each card anyway so there
wouldn't be a easy way to support them all unless you start writing a
driver for each card.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim