2003 Oct 14 18:41

Re: [vox-tech] Samba issues on my home network solved!

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 06:35:29PM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I was having an issue with files on my Samba share on my home server
> being created by user "nobody" when I wanted them created with my
> account name on that server. I solved this by deleting the "homes"
> share, and creating a new share pointing to my home directory with the
> "force user" and "force group" options enabled.
>
> Oddly, when I tried naming the share "richard", the same name as my
> account on the computer, I wasn't able to browse to the share from
> Windows or write to it from Windows.  But naming the share "rscrawford"
> made it all work.  Just plain weird.
>
> Remaining issues:
>
> 1.  Trying to sync my Palm Pilot (USB connection) causes my Linux
>     box to freeze up, and the computer must be rebooted.

Sounds similar to the zaurus problems with usbdnet.
If the Palm uses usbdnet, then you'll want to find a kernel patch or
upgrade to 2.4.21 or later which has nice usbnet support.  That supposes
the palm can be made to work over usbnet.  Note that usbdnet and usbnet
*are* two different things and not merely fat fingers :)

> 2.  I cannot get my display working on my Debian laptop.  GNOME is
>     dead, apparently beyond resurrection, and I still haven't figured
>     out whether I ought to just blow the partition and reinstall.

Dunno.  You'd have to provide a lot more info to get help on the second
one.  If you provided it in an earlier thread, I've forgotten it.

-troy