2003 Oct 13 23:30

[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

hi all,

i owned a microsoft OS for a few weeks before switching to linux.  in
those few weeks, i bought a hauppauge wincast TV card.  it worked
marginarlly well, but the driver had "issues".

anyway, i installed linux soon after and completely forgot about the
card, giving up on it ever being supported by linux.  that was back in
the redhat 5.1 days, and supported hardware was ... sparse.

anyway, i recently came across the card and did some research.  it's now
supported by linux!  hooray!  after...

reading ~linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv
recompiling the kernel
figuring out how to connect the card to my soundcard
playing with sound settings
hooking the card up to my VCR

i got the card to work.  it took a bit long to get working under linux,
but it's much less flakey.  the windows driver crashed very often,
making the card painful to use (one of the reasons why i forgot about
the card).

anyway, i want to put some of my old VCR tapes onto hard drive and
perhaps eventually burn them to DVD.

has anybody ever done this?  i can use xawtv to watch my tapes, but for
some reason, it doesn't want to record.  it refuses to record the movie
to disk (although i can get screenshots).

i'm about to go to freshmeat, but if anybody does this kind of thing,
i'd like to hear what you use and about your experiences with this kind
of software.  i'm a TOTAL newbie with video on linux, but i'd like to
get acquainted with it.

thanks!
pete