2003 Oct 14 15:18

[vox-tech] Samba issues on my home network solved!

[vox-tech] Samba issues on my home network solved!

I was having an issue with files on my Samba share on my home server
being created by user "nobody" when I wanted them created with my
account name on that server. I solved this by deleting the "homes"
share, and creating a new share pointing to my home directory with the
"force user" and "force group" options enabled.

Oddly, when I tried naming the share "richard", the same name as my
account on the computer, I wasn't able to browse to the share from
Windows or write to it from Windows.  But naming the share "rscrawford"
made it all work.  Just plain weird.

Remaining issues:

1.  Trying to sync my Palm Pilot (USB connection) causes my Linux
    box to freeze up, and the computer must be rebooted.

2.  I cannot get my display working on my Debian laptop.  GNOME is
    dead, apparently beyond resurrection, and I still haven't figured
    out whether I ought to just blow the partition and reinstall.

Advice on either of these two issues would be very greatly appreciated.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford