2003 Oct 11 18:16

[vox-tech] data-acquisiton question AND xmodmap question

[vox-tech] data-acquisiton question AND xmodmap question

Wow, there is too much coincidence here for me to pass up. Not only have
I been wondering about a keymapping question, I've also been wondering
about a data-reading question, and I /just found out/ why replying to an
old post with a new topic is a bad idea. My questions are different
enough that I'll create a new thread, though.

First, I have been wanting to make my escape key toggle between keymaps.
I have bound ctrl to escape (handy for Vim), so escape is sitting unused
atm. Since I am not the only person who uses my keyboard, but I *am* the
only person who uses Dvorak, I would like a quick way of switching back
and forth. All the info I've found concerning keymappings focuse mainly
on fixing the insert/delete key business, and nothing mentions binding
program execution (like 'setxkbmap us') to a keypress.

The second thing is an old UPS I've inherited that has no way of
communicating with my computer. It just beeps, which wouldn't be helpful
when I'm at school. It beeps continuously when reserves are dangerously
low, and I figured that if I could connect something to the speaker
circuit, I might be able to use the signal. I'm completely clueless
here, though, so I'm not asking for any definite answers- I'm just
wondering if it is possible to use the beep, e.g. wire the speaker to a
port, and scan for the AC signal that would indicate imminent power
failure. For all I know, that would fry circuits, but is there
*something* I could do?

Thanks for helping a newcomer. :)

-Bryan R
btrichter@ucdavis.edu