2003 Oct 10 00:21

Re: [vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

Re: [vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:05:50 -0700, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> wrote:

The manual page for xmodmap lists the following example (exact quote):

!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

which is said to turn the left caps lock key into a control key and the left
control key into a caps lock key. It does not work. On my system, running the
above commands (saved to a file, then run using 'xmodmap <filename>') turns
the left control key into a shift key (!) and has no effect on the caps lock
key. Neither xmodmap nor the x server print any errors or other messages.
Does anyone have a suggestion? My XFree86 config file follows.
[snip]
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    #Option "XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    #Option "XkbModel"	"pc101"
    #Option "XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection
I know this isn't quite what you were asking for specifically, but I wasn't sure if xmodmap was a requirement. In your InputDevice section for your keyboard in your XFree86 config, you can try adding the following:
Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"

I haven't used that specific option, but I do use "ctrl:nocaps" and it's been working great here. (it turns your caps lock into a second left control, without switching l-ctrl into caps lock)