2003 Oct 08 22:28

Re: [vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

Re: [vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

hi henry,

sorry to do this to you, but the man page example actually works for me;
it swaps my caps lock and left control keys.

my current keyboard is a memorex MX 3000.  one of those "angled away"
designs that's supposed to be a more natural positions for your wrists
and hands.

here's my keyboard section:

   Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
      Driver      "keyboard"
      Option      "CoreKeyboard"
      Option      "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
      Option      "XkbModel"   "pc104"
      Option      "XkbLayout"  "us"
      Option      "XkbVariant" "microsoft"
   EndSection

my last keyboard was a microsoft "angled away" keyboard.  they must have
the same real manufacturer (they look the same).

anyway, try adding these lines if you think they're relevent (i have to
admit that keyboard stuff under linux is too uninteresting for me to
really get to know well).

   Option      "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
   Option      "XkbModel"   "pc104"
   Option      "XkbLayout"  "us"
   Option      "XkbVariant" "microsoft"

oh, one more thing.  here's my xevent for the caps lock:

KeyPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x56, subw 0xe00002, time 1263659015, (37,45), root:(693,64),
    state 0x2, keycode 23 (keysym 0xff09, Tab), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "        "

and here's my left control key:

KeyPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x56, subw 0xe00002, time 1263730336, (36,50), root:(692,69),
    state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

see if you have the same keycodes/keysyms as i do.

even though i'm grasping at straws, i hope something in here helps.  :(

pete