2003 Oct 09 11:58

[vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

[vox-tech] using xmodmap to swap modifier key locations

The manual page for xmodmap lists the following example (exact quote):

	!
	! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
	!
	remove Lock = Caps_Lock
	remove Control = Control_L
	keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
	keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
	add Lock = Caps_Lock
	add Control = Control_L

which is said to turn the left caps lock key into a control key and the left
control key into a caps lock key. It does not work. On my system, running the
above commands (saved to a file, then run using 'xmodmap <filename>') turns
the left control key into a shift key (!) and has no effect on the caps lock
key. Neither xmodmap nor the x server print any errors or other messages.
Does anyone have a suggestion? My XFree86 config file follows.

Section "Module"
    #Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension
    #SubSection  "extmod"
    #  Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    #EndSubSection
    Load        "extmod"
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath	"tcp/wotan:7110"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Keyboard1"