2003 Oct 08 01:37

[vox-tech] Setting up DNS with BIND

Hi gang

I could use some help filling in the gaps in my knowlege of DNS servers; time spent on Google has only confused me. Here's my understanding of how BIND works:
1. Looks in /etc/named.conf to find out whether it's a master or a slave, and, if it's a master, where its zone file is;
2. Looks at its zone file, where it finds a bunch of 'A' or 'PTR' records like "192.168.1.42 A one.example.com." This is also called the 'forward' DNS file.

Now, where does the reverse DNS file fit in? I've come across references to such a thing--apparently they're full of records like "42.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. A one.example.com" I think I'm supposed to add a corresponding reverse record whenever I add a forward record (and before rehupping named), but what's the reverse file usually called and where does it live?

Thanks--

--nicole twn