2003 Oct 06 11:20

Re: [vox-tech] looking for a decent < 20GB HD

Re: [vox-tech] looking for a decent < 20GB HD

Yeah... I know you meant well so I don't wanna say I already knew that
but...

Anyway, yeah e2fsck does do that.  But e2fsck is run on a regular basis,
right (every X mounts)?  `e2fsck -c` runs `badblocks` which generates a
list of bad blocks.  Now... where does that information get stored on the
hard drive?  Or does it get stored at all?  Does ext[23] drivers avoid the
bad blocks when they are detected?  Is bad block information get stored in
ext[23] like it does on some other (ie., FAT) file systems?  Is there a
way to extract that list, if at all?  Etc...

I was wondering about that kind of stuff.  If you know them, I'd be very
grateful.  Thhhhaaaannnkkksss!

-Mark

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Sunday 05 October 2003 11:23 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> [...]
> > On a related note, I asked a while ago whether anyone knew of a way to
> > find out if a portion of a hard drive (or any drive's) partition is
> > unreadable/unwritable due to a damage.  Nobody responded.
>
> "e2fsck -c" will do this.  Specifying -c twice performs a
> (slower) nondestructive read/write test, according to my man
> page for e2fsck.
>
> -- Rod

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/