2003 Oct 05 20:04

Re: [vox-tech] looking for a decent < 20GB HD

Re: [vox-tech] looking for a decent < 20GB HD

thanks for the input-

most of the bad things that i had been hearing were coming from the slashdot
crowd (perhaps not the best place for facts...), as well as the change of
most mfgrs going from a 3yr warranty to a 1yr warranty.

i will do some shopping then, thanks for the offer.

dylan

on 03.10.5 10:40 AM, Rod Roark at rod@sunsetsystems.com was reported to have
writen:

> On Sunday 05 October 2003 11:43 am, dylan wrote:
>> hi --
>>
>> I am currently looking for new ( < 20GB ) IDE drive for a small scale linux
>> server that we are setting up. realistically, we don't event need 5Gb of
>> space, however it would be nice to have a little breathing room for future
>> expansion.
>>
>> I have heard numerous *not so great* things about a lot of the new high
>> density drives (> 40Gb) such as a 1 yr warranty, and tendency to die
>> unexpectedly.
>>
>> any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Do you have a reference to problems with newer drives?  My
> general impression is that they just keep getting better and
> cheaper.  If you get a current name brand 5400 RPM unit you
> should get plenty of life out of it.  Better yet, get two so
> you can easily back up to the extra one.
>
> That said, I have an 8GB Fujitsu MPD3084AT manufactured in
> 1999.  Send me a customer and it's yours.  ;-)
>
> -- Rod
> http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein