2003 Oct 02 16:04

Re: [vox-tech] Are those values in kilobytes?

Re: [vox-tech] Are those values in kilobytes?

Please take me off your email list. Thank you.

Michael J Wenk <wenk@praxis.homedns.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:37:51PM -0800, Walther The Writer wrote:
> And if so, probably stupid question, but what are they in MB? Also,
> what size of one cylinder when using fdisk? Any comments are appreciated.

Since the df question has been answered, I'll take a stab at the fdisk
question. The answer is pretty much in fdisk. Take a look at:

Disk /dev/hda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

The last line is what you want. It says that a cylinder is 8225280
bytes. To find KB, divide that by 1024. You get 8032.5 KB. To find
MB, divide the KB # by 1024. You get 7.84 MB. You can divide the bytes
by a million to find the approx # of MB, but since a MB is not a
million, but 1024*1024 you will not be accurate, but sometimes close is
good e nough.

Mike