2003 Sep 29 20:04

Re: [vox-tech] Bash question

I'm also not sure if I understand what you want, but here's my best guess.

When invoked "inline" (with a . at the beginning of a line), I don't
think you can get at the path name, but here are a couple of alternatives

## .bashrc
export MYAPPHOME=/opt/myapp
. $MYAPPHOME/bin/config

## /opt/myapp/bin/config
echo $MYAPPHOME
pushd $MYAPPHOME
# whatever
popd

or alternatively:

## .bashrc
export MYAPPCONFIG=/opt/myapp/bin/config
export MYAPPHOME=`/usr/bin/dirname $MYAPCONFIG`/..
. $MYAPPCONFIG

## /opt/myapp/bin/config is the same...