2003 Sep 26 21:26

Re: [vox-tech] Mplayer

John,

The easiest way is probably to get a RH 9.0 rpm from freshrpms.net (the website is sometimes down in protest to software patents, but ftp.freshrpms.net always seems to be available).

As for the 7.x rpm, my guess is that there's a good chance it will work, but RH has had a bad habit lately of changing the way they package things (i.e., something that used to be one big package may now be a few little ones), which *might* mean that some dependencies are unmet, possibly without rpm knowing (unlikely IMO).

However, you're not gonna screw anything up if you just do a

# rpm -ivh mplayer-<version>.rpm

You might get errors about unmet dependencies, in which case you'd want to track down the proper (9.0) rpms from your CDs, redhat ftp, etc. There's very little chance of ever screwing anything up unless you start telling rpm to ignore dependencies.

If you find yourself with a non-working mplayer installed, just do

# rpm -e mplayer

Good luck, and have no fear,
Matt