2003 Sep 26 17:15

Re: [vox-tech] OT: one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

Re: [vox-tech] OT: one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On 2003.09.25 21:53, Rob Rogers wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 20:00:51PM -0700, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
Sorry. I was thinking back to my earlier email where I was discussing
encoding a domain name to look innocuous. Here was my example:

http://www.citibank.com%2e%61%33%6b%73%64%2e%50%69%53%65%4d%2e%4e%65%54

which unencoded becomes http://www.citibank.com.a3ksd.PiSeM.NeT
(using the actual base domain from the original email)

This much your browser would have to decode to do a DNS lookup, and I've never seen a browser show it encoded. Whether or not it sends it encoded in the referer, I can't speak with any authority, but I highly doubt it does. As for anything after the servername and/or port #, I realize it does send that encoded. I appologize for not making myself clear at first.
The browser doesn't decode this anywhere. If you try to connect to http://%61mazon.com/ that's exactly what it will try to look up the IP address for so that it can connect. Not "amazon.com". %encoding is just a clever hack to send data to a server, not an "official" alternate way of specifying the location of a document.

My key was last signed 6/10/2003. If you use GPG, *please* see me about