2003 Sep 25 22:40

Re: [vox-tech] OT: one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On 2003.09.25 21:53, Rob Rogers wrote:
> Again, I still had my previous emails in my head, and was continuing
> from there, making assumptions about things without specifying them.
> I believe we're talking about two very different things here. The
> only Hotmail exploits I've seen have had to do with a username as an
> argument at the end of a URL. for instance
> http://www.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/login?lang=EN&country=US&login=user1
>
> In that case, your browser has no idea what/where your username is,
> or  even if there is one there. There is really no way to tell
> (assuming  "login" could be replaced by anything). What I was talking

> about was  a  URL formated in the form we saw in the original email:
> http://username:password@www.example.com/
>
> If you can show a case where a browser was passing on that whole URL,

> including the username and password, I'd be interested in seeing it.
> I'm  not saying it hasn't happened, but I'd be surprised. That is
> what I  was  refering to as a "MAJOR security flaw." Actually, I take
> that back. I  wouldn't be surprised to see that it has happened. I
> would be  surprised  to see one of the major browsers that still has
> such a security hole in it.

Well, Galeon (and probably Mozilla) appear to be OK. I setup netcat to
listen on a port, then set up a web page on my computer's tiny personal
web server to connect to that port through a hyperlink. I connected to
the page with the URL: http://bloom@localhost/~bloom/test.html, (the
browser continued to show this url, as written) then clicked the link.
The result in netcat's window:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1:2487
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress;q=0.9
Accept-Charset: UTF-8,*
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://localhost/~bloom/test.html

I'm sure that once upon a time, somebody made this mistake. Try this
with
IE.

My key was last signed 6/10/2003. If you use GPG, *please* see me about