2003 Sep 25 11:24

Re: [vox-tech] OT: one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:23:11AM -0700, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 06:30:32AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> >http://
> >www.citibank.com:ac=VybznNffNxknAUxPrfE2jYaQUptJ@a3ksd.PiSeM.NeT/3/
> >?IYTEw
> >4eVTtbH1w6CpDrT
>
> Maybe a way for places like Citibank, Paypal and other fraud prone sites
> to help prevent this would be to check the referer, and if it's a
> strangely
> formed url that looks like it might be fraudulent (uses username, lots
> of
> encoded characters, etc), put up a fraud warning instead of the main
> page.
>
> What do you guys think?

My only question/concern would be... What controls the referrer?  Is it
mutable?  If so, its just another layer for a cracker to hit.  I guess
for every layer added, some lazy crackers stop doing it is probably a
good enough reason...