2003 Sep 25 10:24

Re: [vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 06:30:32AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> http://www.citibank.com:ac=VybznNffNxknAUxPrfE2jYaQUptJ@a3ksd.PiSeM.NeT/3/?IYTEw
> 4eVTtbH1w6CpDrT

This has me flabbergasted. I bet this trick worked very well for the
scammers. I mean, even though the email is amateurish, the web page
looks totally legit. I tested this out in konqueror; hovering over any
link on the page shows that it would be redirected through PsSeM.NeT.

I remember seeing something like this during the dot bomb. There was a
website called something like safeweb.com (I can't remember the actual
name, it's on the tip of my tounge). The idea was for you to be able to
surf the web using https--the https server would "wrap" all of the
target links on a page before serving it to your browser via https--I
guess a kind of web tunneling.

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.asc