January 6: Social gathering
2003 Sep 25 09:34

Re: [vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

On Thu 25 Sep 03, 10:46 AM, Rob Rogers <rob@wizardstower.net> said:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:24:56AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> >
> > i didn't know this.  so, an URL is of the form:
> >
> > URL = user:password@url
> >
> > where lowercase "url" is what i used to think of as being an url. and
> > the "user:password@" portion is optional.
>
> Right. You've probably even seen it for an ftp url...works the same way
> for http, just not seen as often.

aha.  thanks!

> As a side note, Opera gave me the following in a popup when I tried to
> click on your URL
>
> Security warning:
>
> You are about to go to an address containing a username.
>
>   Username: www.citibank.com
>   Server: a3ksd.pisem.net
>
> Are you sure you want to go to this address?

yeah, i got that too (i'm on opera).

i was convinced the email was a fraud by looking at it.  i know banks
don't ask for PIN's.  they go through great lengths not to know your PIN
when you create the account.  for instance, washing mutual has a machine
you enter your PIN into, and the teller has to walk at least 3 feet away
and turn around before you punch your number in.

but i was so darned curious, i had to investigate!

pete