2003 Sep 20 22:14

Re: [vox-tech] the answer to all my virus problems

On 2003.09.20 18:39, Rod Roark wrote:
On Saturday 20 September 2003 06:22 pm, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 06:15:32PM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> > On Sat 20 Sep 03, 6:15 PM, Ken Herron <kherron@newsguy.com> said:
> > > --On Saturday, September 20, 2003 04:24:56 PM -0700 Rod Roark

> > > Well, if the remote end sees the connection drop in mid- session,
it'll
> > > typically save the message and try to deliver it again later. So
this
> > > feature wouldn't be all that useful.
> > > --
> > > Ken Herron
> >
> > why not?
> >
> > let them huff. let them puff. and after 3 days, they'll give up
on the
> > delivery.
> >

> The point being that 3 days of huffing and puffing might end up
costing you
> more bandwidth than if you just swallow the message :)

Well, you get the satisfaction of wasting the sender's
bandwidth too. And for me at least, as a DSL user, incoming
bandwidth is cheaper than outgoing.

As for the Postfix solution that I actually implemented,
it's a bit unclear if the entire message is received, but I
suspect it is. The sender definitely gets closed out with a
rejection message, not just a dropped connection. At least
the offending mail is not saved to disk and does not require
another pass from procmail or SpamAssassin or whatever.
Umm, please consider the golden rule when sending reject messages.
Do not unto others as you would not want done unto you.
This can go two ways though because you might not want your legit messages silently dropped. You be the judge.

My key was last signed 6/10/2003. If you use GPG, *please* see me about