2003 Sep 22 16:40

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo anyone?

hi ed,

can you format your emails at 80 columns?  please see 1c at:

On Sat 20 Sep 03,  2:05 PM, Edward Elliott <ed_elliott@email.com> said:
> I've decided to plunge into Linux head first with Gentoo. I've survived the first couple of weeks and pondered the mysteries of emerge and make.conf, and suffered through following instructions and using etc-update (ouch - that was painful).
>
> But, this Gentoo is a great idea. Clearly fast links and fast systems open all kinds of new options. http://www.gentoo.org
>
> I'm curious, has anyone else in the LUGOD community been working with Gentoo?

yeah, we have a few people who use gentoo and a bunch of people who've
played with it.

> Would you mind if a noob to Gentoo and Linux like me shot you some questions from time to time?

prolly not a great idea.

by posting questions publically, your question is not only being
answered for you, but for everyone else who has the same question and
uses google or our list archives to research the answer.

when a question gets answered once in public, it's answered for the rest
of eternity.  if a question gets answered in private, nobody gets to
benefit from it except for one person.

so because of that, most of us like to keep most questions public.

thanks!
pete