2003 Sep 25 09:11

Re: [vox-tech] backing up DVDs (was Re: [vox] fair use / DVD questions)

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 04:03:05PM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> On Tue 16 Sep 03,  3:15 PM, Jan W <jcwynholds@yahoo.com> said:
> > I have done a bit of burning of DVD+R and +RW media for work here.
> >
> > I use cdrecord-prodvd and xcdroast for the GUI.
> >
> > I have successfully recorded 4.7 GB of data on +R media, but I have no
> > experience with -R media whatsoever.  We use Plextor 504A.
>
> i've had my eye on the 708-UF.  just need to get myself a USB 2.0
> motherboard (if they exist yet) or a card.  and check USB 2.0 status in
> the linux kernel.
>
> btw, what is DVD-RAM format?  seems to be distinct from DVD+/-R/RW.

DVD-RAM is an older format for DVD writers. By older I mean I saw it
in stores first.  I have no idea the actual history of these devices.
I saw a creative DVD RAM burner several(more than 5) years ago at Incredible
Universe of all places(although it could have been Microcenter, memory
is a touch hazy, must be getting old)