2003 Sep 16 12:39

Re: [vox-tech] Odd ncftp bug

On Tue 16 Sep 03, 11:21 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:

> I'm noticing an apparent bug in NcFTP (3.1.3; Mar 27, 2002)
>
> This works:
>
>   $ ftp ftp.server.com
>   Name: USERNAME
>   331 User USERNAME okay, need password.
>   Password: PASSWORD
>   230 Logged in
>
> And this works:
>
>   $ ncftp ftp://USERNAME:@ftp.server.com
>   Logging in...
>   Password requested by ftp.server.com for user "USERNAME".
>
>     User USERNASME okay, need password.
>
>   Password: PASSWORD
>
>   Logged in.
>

> However, in SOME cases, the following does NOT work:
>
>   $ ncftp ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.server.com
>   Logging in...
>   Could not open host ftp.server.com: username and/or password was not accepted
>

> Whatintheheck!?  This works for most of the other accounts I've tried
> (I'm writing a script to pull stuff off of various FTP accounts, en masse;
> specifically, my variation is:  "ncftpget -R ftp://USER:PASS@host";)
>

> The shell is GNU bash 2.05b.0(1)
> The FTP server is NcFTPd (can't tell which version).
>

> Many of the passwords in question include "?", "!", "=" and/or "+"
> characters.  However, this doesn't seem to be an issue, since I don't
> see any pattern where these characters DON'T work, versus when they DO.
>
> I'm quoting them in the shell, too:
>
>   ncftpget -R ftp://USER:"PASSWORD"@ftp.server.com
>

> *boggle*
>

> Besides changing the passwords to something that ncftpget CAN send
> properly, is there anything else I can look into!?

sure.  this is off the top of my head:

1. http://bugs.debian.org
2. http://www.ncftp.com
3. http://google.com
4. http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
5. ncftp> debug1
   ncftp> open (whatever)
6. strace -o LOG ncftpget -R ftp://USER:"PASSWORD"@ftp.server.com
7. ltrace -o LOG ncftpget -R ftp://USER:"PASSWORD"@ftp.server.com

and if you can't resolve it in a few days, use reportbug.  :)

pete