2003 Sep 09 12:39

[vox-tech] File Access Question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding fixing filesystem 'booboos' in Linux.

There have been a couple of times when developing kernel modules (perhaps I
am still learning the dos and don't of such programming) that my code causes
my entire machine to freeze up, and the only option I have is to manually
remove power. Of course this is a no no and bad for the filesystem (although
to what extent I am no expert). Of course a disk check is forced upon
rebooting and it has never really found any seriuos problems.

Anyway, after the filesystem check, I go to the directory where I was
working and some files are not accessible. I get Input/Output errors when I
ls the files or when I try to access them at all. But evidently they are
still there.

I come to your help now because one file is my source code, and it would
really be delightful if I could get it back. I really do not want to lose
the significant development I have done since my last file backup. I figured
someone on this list who knows more about the Linux filesystem than I do may
know what's going on and how I may get my precious file back.

Any advice?
I am running RT-Linux 3.1 which has patched a 2.4.4 kernel, operating under
mandrake 8.1...

Thanks!
Andy