2003 Sep 02 00:36

Re: [vox-tech] PHP MySQL Shell Script

A couple questions: (1) Any reason you don't want to run your script
through Apache?  (2) Why do you need a GUI if it's just a shell script
that won't be using GUI in its final form?

Having said that... I downloaded PHP 4.3.3 and built it on my system.  It
generated an Apache module (or rather, it's supposed to), a CGI version of
the program, and the CLI version (among others).  So disregard what I said
about environment variables for now.  Anyway, I'm not sure which PHP
versions you're running when you're accessing your script via Apache and
your script from the shell.  Apache may be running the Apache module or
the CGI version.  When you execute it from the shell then it may be
running the CGI version or the CLI version.  Since you want to run your
script from the shell, use the CLI version if you aren't already.

Anyway, neither my CGI nor my CLI versions work without problems for
simple PHP scripts I tested.  (1) It's probably a problem with your code.
In this case, why don't you try tracking it down?  Or (2) it could be a
bug in your version of PHP4 -- upgrade to 4.3.3.

-Mark

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Charles McLaughlin wrote:

> Well.... This project really is a shell script and won't ever go through
> Apache.  I'm using PHP because I can quickly build a GUI using PHP-GTK.
> This is just quicker for me than using C/C++.  I thought about using
> Python, but I'm more familiar with PHP.  ;-)
>
> What environment vars should I look at?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Charles
>

> > Possibly environment variables.  PHP might be using it or using it to
> > modify its execution behavior.
> >
> > I recommend running your script under Apache.  Having a development
> > environment that resembles the real environment as closely as possible
> > is a good idea.  If you don't want to do this for some reason, let us
> > know why and maybe we can help you setup your system so it does resemble
> > a real environment but still meet your other needs.
> >
> > -Mark

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available on the website