2003 Aug 15 20:15

Re: [vox-tech] Trying to get nfs working

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:50:11AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> >Apparently not. You could use the nfs-user-server if you don't want to
> >compile a new kernel.
>
> Advantages/disadvantages of nfs-user-server?
>
> I reinstalled to see if there was a "file server" option during the install,
> its not.  So I guess I'll have to learn how to recompile the kernel

The main disadvatage of the user server is speed. It is also possibly not as
well maintained as the kernel server, since it is less popular. To quote
Debian's description:

	 Unlike other NFS daemons, this NFS server runs entirely in user space.
	 This makes it a tad slower than other NFS implementations, and also
	 introduces some awkwardnesses in the semantics (for instance, moving a
	 file to a different directory will render its file handle invalid).  .
	 There is currently no support for file locking.

I have used both sucessfully.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: