2003 Aug 14 08:21

[vox-tech] printer config: hp2100 on Red Hat 8 + samba

[vox-tech] printer config: hp2100 on Red Hat 8 + samba

I'm moving a printer (hp2100M) from a RH5 server to one running RH8, to be shared over samba with some windows boxes. The workstations see the printer, but when they print to it, I get pages of gibberish (text and characters).

I copied the config from /etc/printcap on the RH5 box to /etc/printcap.local on the RH8 server. It looks like this entry was generated with Printtool. This new server doesn't have X installed, is there a command line equivalent to Printtool or is editing the config files by hand the way to go? I edited printcap and moved the contents of /var/spool/lpd/lp0 to the RH8

Here is my entry from /etc/printcap.local

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 1200X1200 letter {} PostScript Default 1
lp0:\
:sd=/var/spool/samba/hp2100:\
:mx#0:\
::\
:192.168.0.253:\
::\
:/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\

I thought this should show up in /etc/printcap verbatim, but the following line is different

:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0

Here are the relevant parts of my /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global Parameters
[global]
workgroup = TEAM7
netbios name = epic
server string = The Server
max log size = 1200
timeserver = no
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
printcap name = /etc/printcap
logon script = logon.bat
domain logons = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
create mask = 0777
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 0777
hosts allow = 192.168.0.
dos filetimes = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

[hp2100]
printable = yes
printer name = lp0
comment = HP LaserJet 2100M
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Plp0 -h %s
browseable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba/hp2100

Thanks for any ideas on how to fix this.
--
David