2003 Aug 13 13:52

Re: [vox-tech] X server crashed?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:36:46PM -0700, Katie wrote:
> I guess Gateway feels us mere mortals aren't competent enough to fix our
> own computers.  I can't get the cover off to save my life.  Guess I have
> to take it to one of their repair centers so they can blow out the dust.
> :-/
>
> Maybe something else caused the x server problem?

Standard places to check when computers start behaving weirdly:

- log files in /var/log, especially /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log
- debugging messages from applications; often these are turned on by giving a
  -v switch to the program when starting it from the shell
- any recent changes to the system, hardware or software

Bad RAM is a possibility. There is a program around called memtest86
(http://www.memtest86.com/) that can find common memory defects. CPU
overheating is a possibility. You might try compiling something and see if
you get mysterious non-repeating compiler errors; this is a classic
indication of CPU overheating.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: