2003 Aug 09 22:49

Re: [vox-tech] IBM Esssolo1 Sound

Disable serial and parallel ports (and anything else you see in the BIOS
setup) and see if that helps.  Do it even if you need these hardware, so
at least you can identify the problem.  Also try updating the BIOS with
the latest from IBM, if any.  Let us know what happens!

-Mark

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, D & E Radel wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyways. I have an IBM 390X
> thinkpad. In short the soundcard is an ESS Solo and can
> use the Kernel OSS modules or the Alsa esssolo1 drivers.
>
> However, both drivers only produce distorted garbage out
> the speakers. The card runs fine under Windows partition.
>
> I also tried SuSE 8.1 and Knoppix. They both detected the
> hardware fine and installed the drivers automatically, but
> still garbage comes out the speakers.
>
> This is a common problem with the Linux drivers for this
> system. The only solution I have heard of is a real hack.
> That is, the computer boot to dos partition, loads the dos
> drivers, then runs Linux via loadlin. Not really a reasonable
> option in this day and age.
>
> Has anyone come across a similar scenario or have a
> possible solution? There are IRQ settings in the cmos,
> but not necessarily related directly to the sound card.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-)
> Dietrich

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available on the website